Sunday, January 11, 2009

ARUSHA

ARUSHA, A WINDOW TO EAST AFRICA

Early in the morning, I just peeped out of the hotel room window to see a huge mountain. I could not make out which one was that – Mt Meru or Mt Kilimanjaro. While heading for breakfast, I enquired and confirmed with the reception that it was Mt. Meru.
I just had an idea that Arusha, which is in the northern tip of Tanzania, was near to many national parks, but had no clear idea on the topography. When I tried to exchange $100, I got 1,20,000 Tanzania shillings back. It was difficult for me to handle these big denominations.
By 11 am, I set out to the travel agent’s office to confirm my return ticket. Arusha is a small, but beautiful city. The roads are clean and the streets in commercial area are narrow, but clean. While I was making enquiries on my return ticket, the person in the counter asked me to meet the Director. As I entered the chamber, I realised that he was of an Indian origin.
Mustaqali Abdallah is the fourth generation of his family, living in Tanzania. He started Bobby Tours and Safaris 35 years ago. His son Kassim has joined him in the business and looking after the shuttle bus service across the country. He is among the top five tourist operators in Tanzania. (Other four are also Asians, of whom two are Indians).
Mustaqali’s great grand father had migrated to Tanzania, a century ago. As we started talking, I realised that the time I had at Arusha was too short. It takes at least a week to cover entire Arusha, which is a window for the entire topography of East Africa. You have great bushes at Tarangire and great planes at Sarangeti. Two great mountains of Africa are here, while rift valley lake Manyara has a lot to offer. Moreover, the crater of Ngorongoro is one thing that no one could miss. If someone wants to climb mountains, it may take a month.
I just decided to take a round in the main streets. My cab driver told me that there were only two streets, where I could look for some interesting things. Since it was already afternoon, I asked him to pick me up from the hotel at around 6 pm.
When I went back to the heart of the town by 6 pm, all the shops were closed. The roads were deserted. Cab driver Phillip had called me at 4 pm and asked if I wanted to visit the commercial area. I told him that we would go by 6 pm. I looked at Phillip’s face, who understood my plight. ``Everything closes between 5 and 5.30 pm. Business people come to the town from long distances and want to reach home before 6 pm,’’ he said in a calm voice.
I stepped out of the car to take a walk in the deserted street. Even before covering 10 metres, I could see a group of police, armed with a pistol on the holster and a shot gun in the hand, giving a strange look at me. One of the police signalled Phillip, who called me back.
``Sir, tourists are advised by the police to reach their hotels by 6 pm. Either you can go to a night club and stay up to 2 am or get back to the hotel,’’ he said. I just nodded my head. Before heading to the hotel, Phillip ensured that I had a good round of the entire Arusha town, including the down town, museum area and another area, which was full of government offices.
I really wanted to check about the law and order situation and the crime rate in Arusha. Even the hotel had a bunch of security guards, sporting shot guns. However, the hotel receptionist Anneta assured me that Arusha was a safe town, as she always went home at 11 in the night. ``The gangs from villages come and loot the shops. So far, no foreign tourist has been attacked and the police are taking precautionary measures,’’ she said. And, I smiled.


Arusha

No comments: