Monday, November 14, 2011

USA


LEARNING PROFESSIONALISM AT  L.A


Traveling across USA was never a priority for me. In 2008, I visited Kenya and Tanzania – clicking photos of wildlife as well as trying to understand socio-economic factors affecting wildlife conservation.

I was disappointed that I could not visit Gorilla Mountains in Rwanda or Burundi. All I could do was to stare at the mountains from Arusha in Tanzania. It was expensive and time was running out. Before returning to India, I told myself that I would return to visit Gorilla Mountains.

But US trip came completely as a surprise. I was asked cover annual conference of Adobe Systems. Barring photoshop and Pdf reader, I did not have much utility for Adobe systems products. Though I had no idea as to what exactly I would be looking for in America, I was sure that it would not be wildlife.

Google search suggested me that visiting Grizzly bear in North West corner of the country or flying down to Utah for visiting Yellow Stone National park were not pragmatic. That would have consumed my entire trip – both time and monetarily. I had to catch up with my cousins as well as couple of friend living in America.

When I landed at Los Angeles airport, it was grueling 27 hours flight journey. I was not sure which part of my body did not ache. Checked into the hotel booked by organizers and just stood under hot shower. Dressed up and got down to the street. 11 pm in the night and deserted. I knew food was a distant dream, but had to loosen my body and took a long walk.

Figueroa street is up market of Los Angeles and very beautiful. Just 10 meters after crossing the hotel entrance, I saw a man sleeping on pavement. World is small and poverty is universal. I met the same man at around 4 am, when I went down for a smoke. He was scrambling through the public ashtray to get some leftover bud and later I realized that the scene is common in big cities.

Late in the morning, I met Julie, who had mailed me the details of program and coordinated with me. She said that we would be heading to Getty Paul Centre and I did not realize what it was. Binesh and Shamni, both from Delhi, joined me and on the way, I felt Julie was talkative. Later, she introduced me to Andy, who looked somewhat reserved.

After returning having a good time driving around Santa Monica beach and a nice time at Paul Getti Museum, we headed back to hotel. At hotel lobby, Andy said that he would meet us at around 5.30 pm, so that we could go for conference inauguration at 6 pm. We wanted to go early and we decided to meet Andy at 4.30 in hotel lobby. I was late by five minutes and Shamni came after me. Andy was not comfortable at all.
I realized that both Julie and Andy were professionals and were always dot on time. When it was working hours, they meant business. Late in the evening, we had a party at a nearby hotel owned by Moroccans. Both Andy and Julie were relaxed, ensured that all the journalists from Asia-Pacific were comfortable. Julie looks after Adobe public relationship of Asia-Pacific and Andy helped her in taking care of us.

Next three days, I knew it was difficult to keep phase with these two Australians. At the end, they re-defined professionalism to me. All through the session, they kept moving from one place to another – but ensured that they did not lose tab on the journalists they were handling. At the same time, they took notes during conferences, so that they had answers for journalists. I thought handling me would be difficult for Andy. He handled it such ease and made me skip many of my cigarette breaks. I did not complain.

Andy was always seen running between convention center and Nokia Theater. Though they are next to each other, one has to cover a distance to walk out of the convention center and enter the neighboring building and sometimes, Andy looked exhausted.

In evening parties, there would be no sign on pressure on their faces. Julie used to laugh her heart out and introduce us to various people, while Andy used to silently enjoy his drink. When he opened up, others could not stop laughing. That was a perfect mix of work and pleasure.

At the end, I could not stop complementing both of them. I told Julie that she and Andy answered my long-standing question as to why Australian cricket team stood on top of the world for so long. If a group of professionals worked like this behind the team, there is no reason why they should not be on the top.

At the end of the trip, I was satisfied. I skipped many known places and tried exploring some not so known places. I started realizing what professionalism is all about – be a bus driver or tour guide. Even Americans are thorough professionals in work and so are the Indians who have migrated there.

As my newfound friend in US Madesh put it ``system does not depend on anything. We are just part of it and you have to be professional to remain in the system.’’

I had no plans of writing travelogue of US, as the country is much talked about. However, on the second day, I felt that there was much more in US than what we talk. I decided to write it in first person. I don't expect everyone to endorse my views in the travelogue. My details may be incomplete and I welcome anyone's view with additional details.













No comments: